Tuesday 5 June 2012

WELLY WANDERS TO LOUTH AND HORNCASTLE


Lincs League Chairman Bob Welton continues his quest to visit every member club's ground this season

Saturday arrived and I awoke to a lovely day, birds singing in the trees and this strange yellow thing up in a clear blue sky . Where should I spend my afternoon? that was the decision that faced me.
A look through the fixtures gave me the idea of a visit to Louth, followed by the short drive to Horncastle. I arrived at Louth in time to see Cleethorpes batting on the well-appointed Louth ground. I managed to hobble up to the viewing balcony and was quickly involved in deep and meaningful conversation with Paul Hewstone and Dean Cressey. The Louth bowlers struggled manfully against the strong Cleethorpes batting line-up but the innings closed on 220 for 8 wickets, Louth bowler Tom Ryder, with 5 for 67, being the most successful of the Louth attack . Tea was taken and after a cup of tea kindly brought to me by Dean Cressey, I hobbled back to my car and drove off to Horncastle .
Well, it had to happen - I arrived to watch the second half of the game against Outcasts. What had to happen, you may ask? I was to witness the home club's first outright win since September 2010, according to Mick Devereaux, the genial Horncastle all-rounder. Andy Torr was at the wicket when I arrived and Outcasts seemed to be cruising to a comfortable victory. When Torr was out for a typically hard-hit 54, Outcasts appeared to have the game well and truly in the bag . Enter Brody Willerton into the home attack and the return of the mercurial Devereaux and a collapse of monumental proportions unfolded before my very eyes. Outcasts managed to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory as Willerton finished with 4 for 6 and Devereaux with 4 for 23.
I enjoyed the banter in the clubhouse between two very sporting sides and even bought Dave Ranshaw a drink whilst we discussed cricket matters; a very pleasant hour spent in the company of the friendly Horncastle players and then I hobbled back to my car for the drive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment