Friday 15 June 2012

CHAIRMAN BOB SOAKS UP MORE LIQUID SUNSHINE ON HIS TRAVELS


Lincolnshire County Cricket League Chairman Bob Welton continues his quest to visit all Lincolnshire League clubs' grounds by wandering out Lincoln way.

The weekend caused me a dilemma: Where to go to avoid the wet weather was the conundrum.
I plumped for a drive to Lincoln to watch Old Lincolnians and Hykeham, arriving - crutches at the ready - just in time to see the match commence.
Old Lincolnians batted first and the Hykeham lads struggled manfully trying to contain a rampant batting line-up. Hykeham stuck to the task well and chased every ball; however, Old Lincolnians' batsmen kept the score ticking over and amassed 217 for 7 wicket - only Sam Toofany having any real success with 5 wickets for 29 runs in 12 overs.
I must say that I was impressed with Mike Savage's coffee-making prowess as he kept me regularly supplied on a chilly afternoon. The conversation in front of the clubhouse was enthralling and a wide range of topics pertinent to our League were discussed and opinions expressed. VERY ENJOYABLE.
As both sides left the well manicured field of play to take a well-earned tea, I bade farewell to one and all to make the short journey to Scothern. One of these days I'll see some cricket at their ground; on arriving there I found the place deserted as the 2nds' game was completed in double-quick time with a convincing victory to the guys from Scunthorpe Town 3rds.
NO PROBLEM: I made a short trip to Nettleham - GAME OFF; on to Market Rasen - GAME OFF; on to Caistor, but as I arrived Caistor 2nds' last wicket fell and they had been soundly beaten by Grimsby Town 2nds.
Home for tea and an unexpected chance to watch the football. I would have preferred to watch some cricket, though.
There being no Lincolnshire League games on Sunday, I went to Brumby Hall, Scunthorpe, to watch some T20.Yet the spectacle was completely ruined by some steady LIQUID SUNSHINE! 
However, I did get time to speak to Salim Uddin, Vinny Grimes, Ian Armiger, Mike Campion and Mick Bramley. Ian also makes a very passable coffee, and after some tea I set off for Broughton and arrived in time to see the home side suffer (North Lindsey League) defeat at the hands of Caistor. It still being early, I headed off home for some more football.
I hope this weather improves soon but, having seen the forecast for the coming weekend, it shows little sign of doing so. Worry not, I'll find some cricket somewhere. WATCH OUT - I COULD ARRIVE AT YOUR MATCH!

No comments:

Post a Comment