Sunday 17 June 2012

CHAIRMAN BOB WARMS TO CLEETHORPES v BARTON ENCOUNTER AT SEASIDE


Well, Saturday arrived, I gazed out of my bedroom window hoping to see a glorious June morning. What did I see?  A damp day, more like October than June.
Early breakfast was followed by the usual weekend chores and then a conversation with "Scoop" Fisher to see what games were off QUELLE SURPRISE, nothing much on in the Scunthorpe or Lincoln areas.
My mind was rather made up for me - GRIMSBY, here I come. I went into Brigg, did some shopping and then to one of my favourite eateries for lunch. Battling up the stairs into the restaurant above Grandad's Shed - crutches and stairs are a combination I'm getting used to - but the delights of a coffee and home-made fish pie made the struggle well worth the effort.
Whilst dining I was joined by that other well-known sporting journalist and would be David Bailey, PETER THOMPSON. We discussed many cricket topics and then bade each other farewell as I wanted to get to Augusta Street to see Grimsby Town 2nds take on Alkborough 2nds.
My luck was out, howeve; on arrival at the ground I could see the covers on and only two cars in the car park. GAME OFF!
Cleethorpes was my only chance to perhaps see some cricket. I was not to be disappointed. On my way I thought I would call in at the Linden Homes ground and watch some of the game between Laportes and Broughton. SHOCK, HORROR! As I got there all I could see all over the ground were football goals for junior games. Don't these people realise that football is our national winter sport and the youngsters need a break and the opportunity to do something else? Perhaps not!
Chichester Road was my last hope and the game (reduced overs) was about to start. Cleethorpes were to bat first and set about their task briskly with Stuart Airey (28) Jiang Shuyao (41) and Ian Mansfield (42) taking the game to Barton.
The introduction of Marc Foster (3 for 23) and John Knapton (4 for 16) cut through the Meggies' brittle batting and the innings closed with the Seasiders making 159 all out in 41.3 overs, when at one stage a score of 180-plus was looking like a stroll.
When the game recommenced after a 10-minute break it was obvious that Barton would only get 22 or 23 overs, so it was a guessing game for Don Tolson and myself on how the Barton boys would play out the rest of the game.
We were regally entertained as the visiting batsmen tore into the Meggies' bowling (a nearby wag declared that the buffet was officially open!) as Dan Tolson (31), James Barker (43), Adam McDermott (38) and Rob Brice (27*) clearly took a liking to the Meggies' bowling.
It was good to see that Stuart Airey's back problems were not preventing him from bowling down the slope at a very brisk pace. This said, however, the bowling figures were not too attractive - Zielinski with 3 for 57 off 11 overs being the pick; Matty Owen, 1 for 38 off 5 overs, taking the only other wicket to fall; and Airey finishing with 0 for 48 off 6 overs.
Barton topped 140 and earned 12 points, the Meggies collecting just 8 points.
What a pity the weather had interfered with proceedings, as Barton could have collected the full 20 points had they had an even share of the overs.
THEIR CHARGE TOWARDS THE TOP OF THE PREMIER LEAGUE CONTINUES AND BATTING IN SUCH A MANNER WILL, WITHOUT DOUBT, WIN THEM MANY FRIENDS.

No comments:

Post a Comment