Saturday 30 June 2012

CHAIRMAN BOB ENJOYS WATCHING A BIT OF 'VINTAGE BROCK'


BY BOB WELTON, CHAIRMAN - LINCOLNSHIRE COUNTY CRICKET LEAGUE

Another Saturday dawned and what miserable weather greeted me as I opened my front door. What games were on / off? Quick telephone call to "Scoop" soon made my mind up - games off all over the place; my adventure was not going to take me very far, and after a visit to the supermarket I set off for Rase Park to watch the George Marshall tie with Alkborough. The weather had improved somewhat and the Rasen groundstaff had put in some sterling work in order to get the ground fit for play.
Alkborough won the toss and decided to take first knock, a brave move by skipper Steve Clay, but one that was to be vindicated as the visitors totalled  167 for 7 wickets,  most of the Alkborough batters getting "a start" but not putting a massive total on the scoreboard, Nigel Brown and Craig Ross being joint top scorers with 38 each.
The home crowd were treated to some vintage Lee Brocklebank batting but his innings was soon over for 26 having been fortunate to have had a "life" whilst in the low teens.
The tea interval was entertaining as Alan Carter took pity on me and delivered a warming cup of tea. Alan and I chatted about days long gone by and the bad weather that was ruining the season as the Heavens opened up. Fortunately the covers were put on quickly and Johno Stevenson was on hand to use the super sopper to get the game re-started.
Market Rasen started reasonably well chasing the target but soon lost Ian Williams; however, Graeme Bell and Liam Scales pushed on till the former attempted an impossible run and was run-Out by the proverbial 22 yards. Matt Rutherford tried to keep the momentum up but when dismissed for 16 the innings fizzled out for 115.
The highlights in the Alkborough attack were provided by the slow bowling duo of Steve Clay and Lee Brocklebank as their combined 18 miserly overs yielded only 37 runs but brought the fall of 3 Rasen batsmen. Craig Ross and Steve Kempshall polished off the tail in 6.3 overs with Ross taking 3 for 22 and Kempshall 2 for 3, a competitive Rasen side finishing on 115 all out and the cup on the back-burner till next year.
Crutches were dispensed with on Wednesday and walking became much easier. I paid a visit to that well-known player, Jeremy Evans, which brought some hilarity into my working day. I don't think Jeremy had posed for the wall plaque at his front door as it was actually playing an attacking shot! his wife Nichola makes a great coffee, though.
Who knows where I'll end up watching a game or games this weekend as I continue my quest to visit all grounds during the season. Watch Out it could be yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment