Monday 14 May 2012

WELLY'S WANDERINGS BRING FINE FARE


By Bob Welton, Chairman - Lincolnshire County Cricket League, who is endeavouring to visit  every ground in the competition during the 2012 season

My cricketing journey took me to Northfield Road, Messingham, for my second visit of the season (only because it was the solitary league game yesterday, Sunday).
Messingham batted first and managed to pull round from 65 for 6 to 189 - a respectable total but not a massive one, thanks mainly to a solid Dave Dawson innings and a slightly more adventurous knock from Matt Lawson.
The tea interval came and Oh what a surprise as Stuart Langford invited me to take a seat in the
Executive seating area where he brought me a cup of tea. He then led me to the tea ladies where I was
presented with a very generous portion of lasagne and chips with garlic bread. Truly a first in all
the years of imbibing cricket teas!
What followed tea whilst watching the imperious Steve Clay lead Alkborough to a comfortable 6 wicket win
was a very deep conversation about what to feed Leeks to get the best results - very enlightening as this was, the conversation switched frequently to the cricket and the many problems our weather was
causing, and how difficult it was to get the younger element involved in doing any work within cricket clubs.
Naturally we all had our theories on the matter but no solutions.
As the game finished and I was about to leave, I spent a very pleasant 10 minutes talking over past
glories with Ash White. How nice to meet up with him after a number of years and talk about our time at Cleethorpes and our regular Friday nights coaching the club's under 13s. A good number are still playing League cricket.
Ash is a true gentleman and very good coach who helped me develop these youngsters.
Heaven knows where my cricket travels will take me this coming weekend but certainly I will pitch up somewhere. BE PREPARED!
FINALLY I'D LIKE TO CONGRATULATE ROBBIE ELSOME , STUART LANGFORD AND THE REST OF THE MESSINGHAM CLUB FOR THEIR STIRLING EFFORTS IN PREPARING THE PITCH AND OUTFIELD SO WELL IN DIFFICULT WEATHER CONDITIONS.

No comments:

Post a Comment