Saturday 12 May 2012

MANNERS MAKETH THE MAN


By Bob Welton, Lincolnshire County Cricket League Chairman

My cricketing travels today took me to a damp/wet Rase Park to watch the Division Four encounter between Market Rasen and Scunthorpe Town 3rds.
It was obvious that the home club had worked very hard to get the ground fit to play,and indeed the outfield was very slow after the heavy rains we've endured of late.
The home skipper inserted the visitors, and early season form being what it is particularly with the bat the
visitors struggled manfully to 62 all out.
An early tea was taken in the Rasen clubhouse prepared by the lovely Di. Very nice it was, too.I was amazed however that NOT ONE SINGLE player thanked her .Whatever happened to GOOD MANNERS?
Rasen made short work of the low target and passed it for the loss of only 1 wicket.
Andy Richley provided the spectators with an amusing moment when he did a fairly good impression of a beached whale whilst laying down short of the crease attempting a run .
In the very next over he managed to tear a fetlock whilst scampering a second run and completed his innings using the services of a runner.
Some very interesting conversations on the boundary with Andy Fidell, John Stevenson and Dave Snell it's good to hear their opinions on all sorts of cricket matters within our League.
The only game tomorrow is at Messingham so Northfield Road be prepared - you have been warned!

7 comments:

  1. Seen as you're so strict on your rules Bob, why did you allow a runner to be used???? Make your mind up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see the Asylum is in the hands of the lunatics again !!! DO YOU NOT REALIZE HOW STUPID YOUR COMMENT IS ? DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THE WRITTEN WORD ? DO YOU NOT KNOW THAT CRICKET HAS LAWS (NOT RULES). It is not up to me as Chairman and Spectator to allow anything ,the Laws of the game cover these incidents and, as the sole arbiters,the umpires make the decisions. The best thing you can do is speak to your local Umpires Association and enrol on one of their excellent training courses then you will be in a position to pass comment when you have a modicum of understanding of the Laws.I DO NOT HAVE TO MAKE MY MIND UP AS YOU STATE ,BUT I DO THINK YOU NEED TO OPEN YOURS UP .YOU WOULD BE BETTER OFF READING THE LAWS OF THE GAME THAN SNIPING AT ME.BE A MAN ,DON'T HIDE YOUR IDENTITY (GIVE US ALL A GOOD LAUGH AT YOUR DAFT COMMENTS)

      Delete
  2. A runner CAN be used can they not if a player is injured during the course of his innings?? Presumably this is why......

    ReplyDelete
  3. RE-READ MY ACCOUNT ,IT IS QUITE EXPLICIT THAT THE BATSMAN INJURED HIMSELF DURING THE GAME AND THEREFORE IS ENTITLED TO THE SERVICES OF A RUNNER UNDER THE "LAWS" OF THE GAME .THERE IS NO PRESUMPTION IN THIS MATTER .THE 3 LOCAL UMPIRES ASSOCIATIONS RUN WINTER TRAINING COURSES I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT ATTENDING ONE WOULD IMPROVE ANYONE'S KNOWLEDGE OF THE LAWS OF THE GAME AND REMOVE THE PRESUMPTIONS !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed your afternoon at Rase Park Bob. On the point of thanking Di for teas, that was something I realised after the game and we made a point of thanking Di then, but you're quite right, the ladies - and gents - that provide our refreshments at games often don't get the thanks and praise that their hard work deserves, so thanks for mentioning it.

    With regards to the beached whale impression, I'm blaming George Fussey and the lush square. I can cope with Yes, No and Wait, but not all three at once! I was just glad I could still reach the popping crease with my bat!

    For general consumption on the runner, I did ask both the umpires and Andy Hodder, Scunthorpe's Captain, and they all consented before we got someone out to scamper around for me. I did feel a little guilty when the pair of them ran a three whilst I stood and watched as I'm not sure I would have been quite quick enough for that, but there we go. Hopefully I won't have been sent to the glue factory before the weekend's game against Morton!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for that Fridge , the incident amused your team captain (ooops) and the assembled throng as well as myself . An earlier(anon) blogger suggested that I should have applied rules that all DECENT PLAYERS know don't exist by not allowing you to have a runner.That blog amused me more,perhaps,than any other as it clearly demonstrated the complete and utter lack of knowledge some people have both of the LAWS of the game and how Leagues work !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for that Neil ,hope he carries on blogging it's good fun when somebody with absolutely no knowledge of the subject makes those sort of ludicrous statements .I wonder if he plays the game in the Lincolnshire League or just thinks he's being clever by having a go at me ?

    ReplyDelete