Monday 21 May 2012

WELLY CHERRY PICKS A GAME OUT LINCOLN WAY


Lincolnshire League chairman Bob Welton reports on another weekend in his quest to visit all member clubs' grounds across the five divisions...


This weekend's journey took me to the Lincoln area and in particular to Cherry Willingham.
A dull, cool afternoon was brightened up by a deep and meaningful discussion with Trev Doughty whilst watching Alford 2nds struggle manfully on a damp, slow pitch.
We were kept warm with regular cups of tea and biscuits and the usual boundary chat about nothing in particular.
The tea interval arrived with Alford posting a score of 114. Whether this would be enough only time would tell.
Sue and Jude invited me into the clubhouse for some real Cherry hospitality. As a player who visited there many times, tea was always good - and Saturday was to be no different. Thanks, Ladies! 
I watched an over or two after tea and was somewhat disappointed to see Stewart Phillipson run out (without scoring) an event that many bowlers would have wished for a few short years ago.
I then decided to move on to Scothern, a short drive away. Unfortunately, as I arrived all the players were getting into cars and leaving as the home club had inflicted a defeat on Horncastle.
A quick look at my League Handbook showed that Nettleham were at home, and that was to be my next port of call.
Not long after my arrival that game came to an end with Caistor 2nds being soundly beaten.
I did have the opportunity to spend a very pleasant hour in the clubhouse where I was made very welcome by the Nettleham players.
This time was mainly spent with Colin Willerton (an ex-teammate at Cleethorpes) and we certainly caught up on "old times" from our days/nights travelling around Yorkshire whilst playing for Cleethorpes - Castleford curries, Scarborough fish and chips and always a pleasant hour with the host club in their bar before setting off for Chichester Road.
Sunday arrived and the only game was at Broughton; they must think I'm stalking them as this was to be my third visit so far this season.
Broughton struggled against a varied Hibaldstow attack and were unable to post a challenging total.
I did, however, see something I never wish to see again.
After the drinks interval a player smoked a cigarette through the whole of the first over after the resumption.
NOT REALLY THE DONE THING ON A CRICKET FIELD AT ANY LEVEL!
After the tea interval, Hibaldstow were guided to victory by Jon Taylor who batted throughout the innings with dogged defence interspersed with some fine shots against the hapless Broughton attack.
The weather forecast indicates that summer is going to arrive during the coming week.
NOT BEFORE TIME - let's hope it brings with it some bright cricket to watch wherever my travels/ fancy may take me.
Watch out, it could be your club that I visit next...



No comments:

Post a Comment