Tuesday 8 May 2012

CHAIRMAN BOB DROPS IN AT HIBALDSTOW, BARTON, RASEN AND MESSINGHAM



By Bob Welton – Chairman, Lincolnshire County Cricket League

On Saturday my travels took me to Hibaldstow (pictured above) and then to Barton. I would like to use Lincs Cricket Latest to convey my thanks to both clubs for their WARM WELCOME and HOSPITALITY.
Whilst at Hibaldstow we had plenty to talk about while the home side piled on the runs, Tom Taylor just missing out on a century by one run.
I don't think we put anything right but we had a lot of fun talking about many topics.
During the tea interval I got the opportunity to have a chat with that well-known Haxey 2nd team player, Jeremy Evans, and various members of the clubs alumni, including the county’s oldest Hell’s Angel.
On to Barton and the discussion points continued as I caught up with Alford’s Mark Irvine, Kev White and Neil Calvert.
Runs were not aplenty but both sides could have won this low scoring 2nd team affair.
The hospitality of the Barton club was very much appreciated as it had turned decidedly chilly by close of play.
The new scorebox, which is well on the way, and the planned extension to the clubhouse are additions this progressive club are pushing forward.
I congratulate them on their achievements and look forward to seeing the end product.
Let's hope the weather improves considerably during the next few days so that more games can be played.
My travels continued yesterday (Monday).
When I left home my intention was to visit Cherry Willingham via Market Rasen. Not much to report at Rasen as the rains came with the home side on 43 for 2.
This prompted a call to Matt Dobson - Cherry's game had been called off and so to was the game at Rase Park.
Several calls later Mrs Langford confirmed they had no rain at Messingham so off I went, arriving at Northfield Road as the teams were leaving the field. Was I too late? No it was the tea interval!
Stuart Langford invited me into the welcoming warmth of the clubhouse for a warming cuppa. The next two hours were spent watching an enthralling tussle unfold with Nettleham winning by one wicket.
I chatted to club stalwart John Dawson and Robbie Elsome and then Stephen Langford joined us (elder brother of Stuart); we had shared a desk at Henderson Avenue Junior School, Scunthorpe, and had not seen each other since.
Many schooldays were discussed as well as the problems facing our great game and Leagues as well as our 50th Celebrations.
My thanks to the club for its hospitality and great conversation/memories. Let's hope this rotten weather changes soon so that I can get to the other grounds.
You can view a gallery of pictures from Saturday’s Hibaldstow v Haxey 2nds game through this link…



No comments:

Post a Comment