Monday 12 October 2009

DON CALLS TIME

Ruddy Duck memories for Meggies' stalwart


By Don Clifton

Recently I attended a club re-union where I played as a teenager in the
1950s. The club - Newborough West End - played in the Peterborough and
District League along with other village sides in the Lincs/Northants border
area.
I spent about five happy seasons playing there, in a league which did not
have over limitation, but played time games. In those days it was always
advisable to bat first when playing out in the sticks, as the umpire would
be aware of what time the last bus left to get him back to town.
Thinking back to some of those impossible LBWs reminds me of one South Lincs player with a sense of humour. Going out to bat with the score on 3-2 after both openers had been rapped on the pads he asked the umpire for centre. "From over the top or from where he bowls?" asked the umpire in what was the fashion in those far off days. "From where you give LBW!" came the reply from the batsman.
It was great to meet up with people I had played with a half-century ago,
but sadly the club folded at the beginning of the '60s - by which time I had
started my long stint at Chichester Road (Cleethorpes).
The attached photograph was taken outside the public house where the
re-union was held - that's me on the left.
Little did I realise that the pub sign would indicate my final innings!

No comments:

Post a Comment