Tuesday 25 May 2010

NOTTS AT CLEETHORPES MEMORIES

From Andy Genney, Barton Town

If it's the fixture I remember then there was another first class umpire playing that day, Neil Mallender, then a Northants quickie. I'm guessing that puts the date at somewhere in the early eighties. I was there with my dad, Terry Genney, and Bob Welton, at around the time they were both turning out for Normanby Park. Bob pointed out 'Ghostie' Mallender and I went to get his autograph as he fielded at fine leg.
I also remember a Notts v New Zealand fixture at Chichester Road as part of the great Richard Hadlee's testimonial year. The crowd that day witnessed the rare sight of Derek Randall missing a catching chance. The NZ batsman hit a towering skier towards Randall at mid-off, he circled under it briefly then at the last moment thrust his hands behind his back, shook his head and jumped backwards out of the way, much to the crowd's amusement.

No comments:

Post a Comment