Monday 22 March 2010

NOT LONG TO GO NOW

The Scunthorpe and District Cricket Umpires' Association held its March meeting last Thursday, when those who attended received their list of match appointments for the first six weeks of the 2010 season.
That get-together clashed with the Gy-Lincs League dinner, meaning myself, Alkborough's Ralph Gray and Broughton's Bryan Simpson (to name but three) weren't able to get there.
As a result, Mick Walker, who does the appointments, has kindly posted mine...and they've just arrived today. I kick off with a Lincs League division two game on Saturday, April 17 - Alkborough 2nds v Messingham 2nds - at West Halton Lane.
As the North Lindsey League doesn't start that early I looked like being without a game the following day. But, as luck would have it, I've just bumped into Appleby-Frodingham CC chairman Mike Campion who has asked whether I'd like to officiate at Brumby Hall on Sunday, April 18, for their pre-season friendly against Goole Town.
Mike's asked me to try to find a partner. So if any members of the Scunthorpe panel are interested, please post a comment here now, call me on 01652 655134 or email scoopfisher@aol.com
If we haven't had any response by the weekend I'll start twisting a few arms.
Mick's initial list of appointments for umpires stretches as far as May 30. As always he's done his level best to ensure a good spread of fixtures and tried to balance long drives with matches closer to home.
For example, I'm down to go to Gainsborough, Haxey and Misterton - decent distances from my home - but he's also put me down to umpire in Broughton, Messingham, Scunthorpe and Caistor, which are much nearer for me.
Mick has also kindly given Lincs Cricket Latest a mention on the appointments list sent out to umpires in our association.
The App-Frod v Goole appointment is the second favour in a few days received from Mike Campion. He's pictured here during Thursday night's league dinner, and later very kindly gave me a lift home to Brigg. He attended the function with fellow App-Frod veterans Dave Morland and Ian Armiger.

No comments:

Post a Comment